Add a pop of colour to your clothing, accessories and interior decorations with tie-dye! Tie-dye is a cheap and fun way to upcycle plain clothing and other fabric items to turn them into your new favourite pieces! Create fun, colourful patterns such as spirals, starbursts, ombrés and more by simply twisting and binding the fabric with rubber bands or clips and applying different coloured dyes.
Talens Art Creation tie-dye sets
Talens Art Creation already offered two tie-dye sets in a vibrant blue and pink colour scheme, but if you're not a fan of these bold colours, we have extended the range with a new, more subdued colour scheme! This new set contains a selection of three stunning dark shades: Indigo Blue, Neutral Grey and Elegant Black.
Talens Art Creation tie-dye sets each contain three vibrant dyes in bottles with fine dosing nozzles to allow for even and precise application directly to the fabric. The sets also include disposable gloves to prevent staining on your hands.
If you aren't sure where to start, let us inspire you! We've compiled some ideas for fun DIY tie-dye projects below. Watch the video to see how we used these darker shades on some kitchen textiles and have a look at our other step-by-step plans for more techniques and applications!
How do you use these tie-dye sets?
- For the best results, pre-wash the fabric item without fabric softener. Wetting the fabric with water before dyeing will help the dyes blend more easily.
- Cover the surface you will be working on with plastic to protect it. Twist and bind the fabric and secure it with rubber bands or clips. Put on the gloves before moving on the dyeing process.
- Apply the dye directly to the fabric using the dosing nozzles, don’t forget the backside! For even more intense colours, allow the dyes to be absorbed for 24 hours before heat fixing and washing the item. For lighter colours, rinse the item in water before heat setting.
- Fix the colours using an iron on high heat setting for 5 minutes with protective paper (such as parchment paper) between the fabric and iron.
- After heat setting, the item will be washable up to 104 °F/40 °C and suitable for the dryer. Wash the item separately in cold water for the first time to prevent the colours from bleeding. Let the item dry completely and enjoy your new custom design!
Frequently asked questions
Use our Talens Art Creation Textile tie-dye paint on fabric that's made of at least 50% cotton to get the best results. We recommend to wash the fabric without fabric softener before use.
After dyeing the fabric, let it sit for 2-3 hours before hanging it to dry.
We recommend to leave the fabric damp before tie-dyeing so it's easier for the paint to get through the fabric.
After the fabric is dry it's necessary to iron the fabric for 5 minutes to fixate the paint. After that you need to rinse out the excess paint. When the water is clear, you can wash it in the washing machine upto 40 degrees, depending on the fabric.
Did you know the dye in the tie-dye sets is called Talens Art Creation Textile Silk? This fabric dye is available in a total of 20 vibrant colours, so you can create your own palette for your tie-dye projects using your favourite colours!