Galaxy tie-dye on black t-shirt
This time we will tie-dye a black t-shirt in Galaxy style. To make colours visible on black fabric, you have to use bleach to decolour the black fabric. Follow the steps and make your own shirt!
What you need
- Black t-shirt
- Talens Art Creation Textile Silk Tie-dye paint set Blue or Red
- Gloves (are included in the Tie-dye set)
- Optional: Talens Art Creation Textile Reflex (8750), 50 ml
- Elastic bands
- Plastic to cover your workspace
- All the textile you use should have at least 50% cotton. It should be washed without fabric softener before applying the Tie-dye paint.
- Make the t-shirt wet and wring it really well so it’s damp. In this way the bleach will absorb better.
Lay out the t-shirt and take the textile between your fingers and twist. Twist until it’s a ball. Take the elastic bands and put them around the ball of textile.
Step 2 - 3
Apply the bleach to the textile. Don’t forget the back. Let the bleach sit so it can be thoroughly absorbed.
Take off the elastic band and rinse out all bleach. Wring the t-shirt really well so it’s damp.
Apply your chosen colours tie-dye paint on the bleached parts of the t-shirt and apply water using a spray bottle. The paint will flow together.
Step 5 - 6
Let the t-shirt dry. You can use Textile opaque paint to create an even more Galaxy look. On the red shirt we used the Textile Reflex paint. This will light up in the dark.
Take a brush and dip it in the Reflex colour, pull the hairs of the brush letting them snap back causing them to splatter paint onto the surface. This creates the illusion of thousands of tiny stars. Then swirl your brush around the wet splatters to create some light galaxy illusions. (tip: Just press lightly on the brush so it doesn’t get too intense)
Let the paint dry. Turn inside out and iron for 5 minutes to fixate the paint.
Now your t-shirt is ready to be washed on 40 degrees. Enjoy!